Are you looking for a fun, competitive way to contribute to the OWFI scholarship program? Then Basket Wars is the way to go! We need baskets of all shapes and sizes full of goodies to be entered for a silent auction during the conference. This is the time to get creative. What would writer's want/need? What would YOU bid on for yourself? Don't forget this is WAR because the baskets in each category (small & large affiliate, small & large individual) will win prizes! Last year 11 attendees received scholarships and we raised $1145 for scholarships/expenses for this year. So put on your thinking helmets and help us make our 50th Anniversary the best year for Basket Wars yet!
Click here for a PDF version of this page.
What is Basket Wars? Affiliates and/or individuals create a “basket” (can be any kind of container) with books or items a reader or writer could use (imaginations needed). Once at the OWFI Conference, the basket is checked in with Jayleen Mayes. A silent auction then earns money to help with the conference expenses and scholarships. Individuals or affiliates may donate more than one “basket.”
Basket Wars 2017 brought in $1,145.00. With that, we can provide full and one-day conference scholarships. Let’s see if we can beat that!
Includes 2 divisions: A division for large baskets includes containers with 15 or more items; a division for small baskets includes containers with 14 or fewer items. A token of our appreciation will be given for the following:
- Large basket by an individual which brings the highest bid in the auction.
- Small basket by an individual which brings the highest bid in the auction.
- Large basket by an affiliate which brings the highest bid in the auction.
- Small basket by an affiliate which brings the highest bid in the auction.
- Be creative! Be as generous as possible, but REMEMBER this is a voluntary project.
- If you know ahead of time that you want to donate a basket, send me an email at email@example.com with BASKETWARS in the subject line.
- Include in the email:
- Name of person or affiliate.
- Name of contact person for an affiliate.
- Email address and best phone number for contact person.
- You will receive a confirmation email along with a Basket Information form, which will need to be attached to your basket (container) when it is checked in at the conference. Download a Basket Information form by clicking here.
- The results of the silent auction will be posted by the tables where the baskets are displayed.
- The auction will end at noon Saturday, May 5th. Winners will be announced no later than 12:15 p.m. Please have your basket picked up by 1:30 p.m.
- We will accept cash, check, and credit card (if the registration desk is available to assist).